It is not hard to see where the "Long" prefix comes from as the settlement straggles along the main street for over a mile. Packed with interesting houses and shops, it is believed to lie on a former Roman road. Melford Hall (National Trust) and Kentwell Hall both date from the mid-Tudor period. Kentwell Hall is home to annual historic reconstruction, where dress, industry, lifestyle and food are authentic to Tudor times.
Apart from the later tower, the church was rebuilt in the 15th century using wealth generated from the wool and cloth industries. It is one of the most spectacular in East Anglia with period glass depicting members of the Clopton family from Kentwell Hall. The great green was formerly the site of an annual horse fair and still contains the remains of a village gaol.
There's considerable evidence of an Iron Age and Romano-British settlement stretching almost the whole length of the modern village, including signs of a bathhouse, Belgic pottery and Roman pottery and graves.
At the southern end of the main street the former railway station and maltings have both been converted to residential use…
Street-by-street pub list
The 1841 census also lists:
Charles Cobbold, Gate Street South, Ale Brewer, 25/born Suffolk.
Thomas Cooper, Hall Street, Ale Brewer, 35/born Suffolk.
William Payne, Hall Street, Publican, 40/born Suffolk.
John Harrold, High Street, Brewer?, /55y/born Suffolk.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists Thos. Ambrose, Thos. Cooper, John Harrold, and Charles Steward as beerhouse keepers.
The 1851 census also lists:
John Knopp, Brewer, Back Meadow, Head/Married/54/born Melford.
William Harn, Innkeeper, Green, Head/Married/44y/born Thetford, Norfolk.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.