The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
8 Real Ale pubs
other licensed premises
10 closed premises
1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Long Melford: 3518.
Local licensing authority for Long Melford is Babergh.
About Long Melford
It is not hard to see where the "Long" prefix comes from as the settlement straggles along the main street for over a mile. Packed with interesting houses and shops, it is believed to lie on a former Roman road. Melford Hall (National Trust) and Kentwell Hall both date from the mid-Tudor period. Kentwell Hall is home to annual historic reconstruction, where dress, industry, lifestyle and food are authentic to Tudor times.
Apart from the later tower, the church was rebuilt in the 15th century using wealth generated from the wool and cloth industries. It is one of the most spectacular in East Anglia with period glass depicting members of the Clopton family from Kentwell Hall. The great green was formerly the site of an annual horse fair and still contains the remains of a village gaol.
There's considerable evidence of an Iron Age and Romano-British settlement stretching almost the whole length of the modern village, including signs of a bathhouse, Belgic pottery and Roman pottery and graves.
At the southern end of the main street the former railway station and maltings have both been converted to residential use. The station was on the Stour Valley Railway, which ran from Shelford (near Cambridge) and Marks Tey (The stretch between Sudbury and Marks Tey still runs) and was also the terminus of the Long Melford-Bury St Edmunds branch; it opened in August 1865 and closed in March 1967.
Long Melford was recorded in Domesday as "Melaforda" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Melforde".
The Rose & Crown, sometimes listed in Long Melford was in the nearby hamlet of Bridge Street.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.