In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
The county's largest parish, sitting where Breckland and Fenland meet. It is more of a small town in character, with considerable modern urban development partly resulting from London overspill. The settlement had a market from 1412 and the wooden Market Cross can still be seen. At one time it was a considerable inland port, with river links to Peterborough and Bury St Edmunds. The Mildenhall treasure, a hoard of 14th century Roman silverware, was ploughed up near here in 1946. The treasure is now in the British Museum. St Mary church tower is 112 feet high and can be seen for miles around on an otherwise flat landscape. The parish has been home to two Lord Mayors of London and a Speaker of the House of Commons. Mildenhall & District Museum can be found on King Street.
Mildenhall was recorded in Domesday variously as "Mudene Halla", "Midelhale" and "Mitdenehalla". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Mildnall".
Mildenhall Station was the terminus of a line which ran to Cambridge. It opened in April 1885 and closed in June 1962.
In 1934, the Mildenhall to Melbourne air race started from the then new airfield to celebrate the latter city's centenary.…
Street-by-street pub list
The 1844 White's Directory also lists five beer house keepers:
George Coe (Bridewell Street)
Michael Mortlock (Holywell Road [Row?])
J. Mays Munson
George Wiseman (Bridewell Street)
The 1855 White's Directory also lists 6 beer house keepers:
Abm. Butcher (Holywell Road [Row?])
Sarah Coe (Bridewell Street)
Frederick Morley (Bridewell Street)
James Morley (Bridewell Street)
Edward Musk (Kiln Street)
Thomas Philips (Holywell Road [Row?])
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists 5 beer retailers:
William Allen (Terrace Road)
William Barrett (West Street) beer house…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith and others from Wikipedia.