The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
17 closed premises
1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Mildenhall: 10 315.
Local licensing authority for Mildenhall is West Suffolk.
The county's largest parish, sitting where Breckland and Fenland meet. It is more of a small town in character, with considerable modern urban development partly resulting from London overspill. The settlement had a market from 1412 and the wooden Market Cross can still be seen. At one time it was a considerable inland port, with river links to Peterborough and Bury St Edmunds. The Mildenhall treasure, a hoard of 14th century Roman silverware, was ploughed up near here in 1946. The treasure is now in the British Museum. St Mary church tower is 112 feet high and can be seen for miles around on an otherwise flat landscape. The parish has been home to two Lord Mayors of London and a Speaker of the House of Commons. Mildenhall & District Museum can be found on King Street.
Mildenhall was recorded in Domesday variously as "Mudene Halla", "Midelhale" and "Mitdenehalla". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Mildnall".
Mildenhall Station was the terminus of a line which ran to Cambridge. It opened in April 1885 and closed in June 1962.
In 1934, the Mildenhall to Melbourne air race started from the then new airfield to celebrate the latter city's centenary.
On the outskirts of the settlement is a massive USAF airbase which results in many American servicemen and their families living in the area. RAF Mildenhall opened in October 1934, when it was one of the most prestigious RAF stations in the country. King George V visited in July 1935 as part of his Silver Jubilee review of the RAF. Subsequently over 8000 bombing sorties were flown from the airfield and over 200 aircraft were lost in action during WW2. Various squadrons of Wellington, Stirling and Lancaster bombers flew from here from September 1939, in particular Wellington planes of the 149th Squadron flew over 6000 missions from here for the loss of 130 aircraft, until March 1944. The 75th Squadron (New Zealanders), 115th Squadron, 622nd Squadron were also based here, together with Gloster Gladiators (based here until Oct 1941) which were used to collect meteorological data. King George VI visited in July 1944 and over 30 airmen were awarded DFC and DFM medals. Since July 1950 it has been used by USAF to operate their Strategic Air Command and 95th Reconnaissance Squadron, though there are plans to close it down.
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith and others from Wikipedia.