Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
A classic High Suffolk cloth manufacturing centre. The small green still retains the village water pump. The parish was a "peculiar" under the control of the Archbishop of Canterbury's Peculiar Deanery of Bocking, and not the Diocese of Norwich like most of the county. Traces of Palaeolithic, Roman and Saxon settlement have all been found here.
The village appears on the 1837 OS map as "Monks Illeigh". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Munke silye".
The old Guildhall dates from the 15th century.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists Edmund Fuller and Zach. Warren as beer house keepers.
The 1851 Census also lists Edmund Fuller (Beer Shop Keeper, High Street, pub not named, Head/Widower/72/born Bramford)
The 1855 White's Directory also lists George Death as a beer house keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Edward Bugg (& carpenter) and William Parr (& wheelwright) as beer retailers.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists Samuel Hawkins and William Parr (& wheelwright) as beer retailers.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists Wm. Parr (& wheelwright) as a beer house keeper.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.