Establishment(s) understood to have reopened (or, at least, reopening before indoors service is permitted).
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
Bentley was recorded in Domesday as "Benetleia". The Tudor hall was extended by Tollemache family in 19th century. The Great Barn at the hall is one of the largest historic outbuildings in the UK.
Dodnash Wood (between Bentley and East Bergholt) is a remnant of ancient woodlands; don't miss the awe-inspiring display of bluebells there in spring (see the gallery). In a nod to Dodnash Wood, the village WI group is called "Bentley Bluebells WI".
Several good local walks lead to the Stour valley.
Nothing now remains of the Augustinian Dodnash Priory, founded about 1188 and dissolved in 1525, though some of its stones have been reused at Dodnash Priory Farm.
Bentley Railway Station opened in June 1846 and closed in November 1966. As well as serving the London-Norwich line, it was the terminus of the Hadleigh branch line, which opened in 1847 and closed in 1965, though passenger traffic ceased in 1932.
Philip Lambert, Innholder, deceased, late of Bentley (inn not named)Ipswich Journal, 20 May 1780***
The Orwell licensing records show an off-only establishment in Bentley run by Mary Elizabeth Walker (1959-1965), then John Oliver Walker (1965-1967).
The 1851 census records the following two pubs, which probably refer to the Railway Tavern & Tankard:
Robert Smith (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/45/born Washbrook).
Arthur Leggett (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/29/born Helmingham).
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.