The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 Real Ale pub
18 closed premises
Nayland is part of Nayland with Wissington parish.
Population (2011) of Nayland with Wissington parish: 1163.
Local licensing authority for Nayland is Babergh.
Nayland is an attractive, decayed market centre in the Stour valley with many surviving fine timber framed buildings, Nayland was recorded in Domesday as "Neilanda" or "Eilanda".
It appears on the 1856 OS map and John Speed's 1610 map as "Neyland".
The church of St James features an altarpiece painted for the church by John Constable in 1810 (one of only three religious pictures he painted; it was commissioned by an aunt who lived in the village). The ancient settlement of Court Knoll, enclosed by a ditch and bank, lies under the fields about a quarter of a mile to the south. The Anchor was recorded as being an HQ for Press Gangs during the Napoleonic Wars.
In 1883 the West Suffolk county council decided that it should be joined with another local parish to become Nayland with Wissington.
Sometimes the Leavenheath Red Lion may also be historically listed in the pariah.
The Old Pest* House, off Gravel Hill, was an 18th century isolation hospital, now residential.
* From Yersinia pestis, the bacterium that caused the Black Death.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.