Gathered around one side of an unusually large green, this settlement contains several attractive and historic buildings, some thatched. The village is often referred to as Newton Green, to differentiate it from Old Newton.
The green was formerly rough heathland (a rarity for the area) which today is the site of a Golf Course. At one time, two holes were on the other side of the road, but by the 1960s, traffic had become so heavy that they had to be moved.
Villagers are entitled to play 8 holes which are on common land.
For more information about golf club see their website at http://www.newtongreengolfclub.co.uk/
The church stands detached from the village, surrounded by fields. Newton was recorded in Domesday as "Niwetuna"
The 1874 White's Directory also lists William Glass (& blacksmith) as a victuller in Great Cornard.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists John Hurst (& grocer) as a beer house keeper.