Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Mainly large, modern housing estates on the flood plain of the River Waveney just to the north of Oulton Broad. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as Oldton. The author George Borrow (1840-1881) was once a resident of the parish. Arnold's Mill stood on the river west of Camps Heath where it was used for pumping. It was probably built in the 18th century and demolished about 1900.
A House of Industry was built in 1765 just north of the Blue Boar (where Union Ln is now located). It was enlarged in 1833 to accommodate up to 174 inmates (1851 census). An infirmary was added to NE of the workhouse in 1881, followed by an additional infirmary block to its south by 1898. By 1926, the medical facilities were extended by the addition of a female mental ward and a male TB ward. After 1930, the former workhouse site became known as Lothingland House, and then Lothingland Hospital which provided mental health care. The original workhouse building was demolished in the early 1960s. The former chapel still stands.
The river crossing close to Lake Lothing was formerly known as Mutford Bridge.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists two beer houses run by Sarah Draper and John Henry (shopkeeper).
In 1865 Mrs Mary Castleton is also listed as a beer retailer.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists two beer retailers called Isaac Beaumont (& boat owner) (Mutford bridge) and Charles Boon.
The 1871 Census also lists Isaac Beaumont (Ale & Wine Store Keeper, Mill Rd., Oulton, pub not named, Head/Married/57y/born Lound) [Previously at Wherry Hotel, Oulton Broad]
The 1874 White's Directory also lists two beer houses run by Edward Beaumont (& wine dealer & pleasure boat proprietor) and Charl…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.