Set in a steep valley on the Cambridgeshire border and recorded in Domesday as "Uuesdana", the village's name means "Owls Valley" and owls are still common here today. May also historically be written as "Owsden". The correct pronunciation rhymes the first syllable with "cow". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Oueſden".
Sometimes the former Queen PH in nearby Wickhambrook is also listed as being in Ousden.
Demolished in 1955, the Hall was used as a POW camp during WW2. Formerly it was home to the Moseley, Ireland and Praed families. Because of the rather isolated location of the Parish Church, the Praed family gave the people of Ousden a Burial Ground in 1912, which may be seen almost a mile to the east of the church.
In 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists Joseph Sheppard as a beer retailer.
In 1874 White's Directory also lists Joseph Sheppard as a beer retailer.
In 1922 John Oak is also listed as a beer retailer.