The "village of two mills", Pakenham is a settlement grouped in an "L" shape around fenland, with a stream running picturesquely across one of the main streets. Now the only parish in England with both a water mill and windmill in working order. The former is often open to the public in summer months. Mulberry House (formerly the Old Vicarage) contains the "Whistler Window", the last work of the distinguished portrait artist Rex Whistler, who died in action soon afterwards.
A short distance north-east of the windmill is the site of the ancient Mickle Mere, which was at one time supposedly surrounded by settlements. Nearby, a possible Romano-British cemetery was found in about 1810. A number of Anglo-Saxon hut sites were uncovered by quarrying around Grimstone End.
The Roman fort of Ixworth stood in the north of the parish, close to the border with the current village of that name. It's believed to have been built to deal with the Boudiccan revolt and fell into disuse in the 1st century. A Roman villa has also been found at Redcastle Farm and was partly excavated in the 1950s. Many other archaeological finds around the parish attest to the area's long occupation.…
The 1851 Census also lists:
Henry Outlaw (Innkeeper & Butcher, Bridge St., pub not named, Head/Married/23/born Pakenham)
George S Cooper (Baker & Brewer, Bridge St., pub not named, Head/Married/32/born Flempton)
The 1855 White's Directory lists a beer house keeper called Henry Millican (& bricklayer).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists a beer retailer called John Elsden.
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists 3 beer house keepers called Dennis Burton (& boot maker), James Frost and Wm Reeve (& carrier).
The 1912 Kelly's Directory lists a beer retailer called James Witts.
The 1916 Kelly's Directory…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.