As pubs across the county are starting to reopen, we're trying to collate a comprehensive list of those that have reopened or are close to it. Our list can be found on this page.
Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs here which have reopened after lockdown.
A 19th century industrial settlement, this was the home of the Suffolk Seed Drill Company, which manufactured the drill invented by owner James Smyth. The factory was against St Michael's north wall. The drill is featured on the village sign
A drain runs the length of the high street, politely called a brook, and more politely called the river Yox. The village was the scene of one of Suffolk's great crime mysteries in the early 20th century. A maid was murdered in the big house beside the church. A local man was arrested, but the jury could not reach a verdict. Copies of the book 'The Peasenhall Murder' can still be found in substantial quantities in local bookshops.
The unusual village hall dates from 1888 and was a gift to the village from James Josiah Smyth of the Suffolk Seed Drill Company. A probable Roman road has been identified running from Peasenhall to Pulham Market, though no signs of Roman settlements have been found at either end. Mill Road marks the site of a post mill dating from 1803, which worked until 1938 and was mostly demolished in 1957.
Peasenhall was recorded in Domesday variously as "Pesehala", "Pesehalla", "Pesenhala", "Pesehealle" and "Pisehalla"…
The 1841 Census also lists Elizabeth Botwright (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/50y/born Suffolk) [Angel?]
In 1874 White's Directory Henry Gibbs is also listed as a beer house keeper (& bricklayer)
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.