Establishment(s) understood to have reopened (or, at least, reopening before indoors service is permitted).
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
A tiny hamlet on the bank of the river Deben, recorded in domesday as "Ram(m)esholt. John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Rammeſholt".
Today the pub, half-a-dozen houses, a small jetty and the Norman church (about half a mile to the north) are the only buildings. A stream that formerly ran into the Deben between the pub and the church has been dammed by the sea wall. A large car-park is situated at the top of the approach to the pub and the quay. Pleasant walks are popular around here including a riverside walk to Shottisham and Sutton (about 5 miles).
Often mis-pronounced "ram sholt", the correct pronunciation of the village's name is "rams holt".
Visitors could be forgiven for wondering whether the nearby water is the River Deben or the River Plate, as there are extensive plantations of pampas grass near the pub.
A Starfish type bombing decoy was built in early 1941 in the north-east of the parish (at TM 313 427) to deflect enemy bombing from Ipswich. Later that year, a QL decoy was added to protect the Ransome, Sims and Jeffries factory. Although actually in Ramsholt, the site was designated as Shottisham. See Pastscape for more details.…
The 1851 census lists the Old Anchor with three households in residence. It is not shown as a pub and there is no evidence of a pub of this name.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.