Establishment(s) known to be ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
The River Rat was once navigable up to this point. Stone for the abbey at Bury was brought up to here by boat from Normandy. Today several thatched cottages and a wooden facsimile of the old whalebone arch (the original rotted away many years ago) are located next to the bridge. Traces of a Roman road with its drainage ditches, can still be seen at Poystreet Green. In 1972 a 12th cenury bronze statuette of St John the Evangelist was uncovered by a local farmer hoeing his sugar beet. It subsequently sold for 36,000 guineas at auction. A coffin with a skeleton was also unearthed here during the 1890s and was believed to have been the remains of Robert Bumpstead who died in debt (1780) and was hastily buried by friends to avoid his body being seized by his creditors.
A 19th century tower mill used to stand near the west end of Top Road. It was mostly demolished after stopping operations in 1935. The remaining tower was used in WWII as a Home Guard observation post.
Rattlesden was recorded in Domesday variously as "Ratesdana", "Ratesdane", "Rachestdena", "Ratlesdena" and "Rastedena". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Ratleſden".…
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists beer retailers called Henry Clement Roper (& baker), Edward Turner Death (& butcher & baker & grocer) and James Scolding.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists a beerhouse keeper called James Bird
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called Fk. Elijah Hunt (& shopkeeper)
The 1922 Kelly's Directory also lists beer retailers called Harry Charles Cardy and Samuel Garrod.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.
(** historic newspaper information from S