Now by-passed, this linear settlement has many fine 16th and 17th century buildings. The village consists of two contiguous parishes - Inferior and Superior - whose borders follow the course of an underground stream, crosses the street and runs through many houses and at one time through the bar of the fomer Hamblyn House (now a private residence). The village of Botesdale adjoins at the eastern end. The whole area has been designated a conservation area with several thatched houses. Basil Brown, the archaeologist responsible for the discovery of Sutton Hoo lived here for a while. A colony of large, edible snails still exist locally and may be descendants of those once imported by the Romans, of whom some archaeological evidence has been found.
Unusually, the two Rickinghalls' signs are on either side of the same sign-board, which stands close to Inferior's church.
Evidence of Iron Age occupation has been found in the area of Briar Lane.
The Rickinghalls are recorded in Domesday variously as "Richingehala", "Richingehalla", "Rikingahala" and "Rikinchala". Rickinghall Inferior appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Rickingale parva".…
The 1851 Census also lists Joseph Saddington (Tailor & Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/44/born Isle of Ely Emneth)
The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Joseph Saddington (taylor).
In 1861 census Edwin B Philips (40y of Thurston) is listed as a Innkeeper and George King (51y of Rickinghall) is listed as a beerhouse keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists George King and David Warren (blacksmith) as beer retailers.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists Henry Steggall as a beer house keeper.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Elizabeth Daines as a beer retaile…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.