Establishment(s) understood to have reopened.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
Blundeston is a large village recorded in Domesday as "Dunestuna" and dominated by the tallest church tower in East Anglia. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Blunſton". Blundeston Lodge was said to have inspired the poet Gray to write his Elegy but the house was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a maximum security prison, which closed early in 2014.
The parish also features in Dickens as "Blunderstone", birthplace of David Copperfield; the village sign shows the young David looking at the village church. Part of the story takes place at the Plough.
A house in The Street incorporates the remains of a tower mill that stood here since about 1820, which worked until 1923.
The village pound (appropriately on Pound Lane) still stands, and was restored in 1959:
The pound was an important part of Blundeston life. When livestock was moved from one pasture to another, or to market, it was done "on the hoof". Sometimes a few would go astray and these would be impounded here. The were looked after by the pinder, who fed & watered them. A fee had to be paid on collection by the owner.
This is the only property The Lord of the Manor still retains in the village.sign on the pound
The 1844 White's Directory lists 2 beer houses run by William Welton (also listed as a joiner) and Barny William Blistow (maltster & brewer).
The 1855 White's Directory lists 2 beer houses run by Rt. Rounce and Alfred Bristow (also listed as a maltster & brewer).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists James Brown (also listed as a tailor) and Robert Runce (also listed as a boot maker) as beer retailers.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists James Browne (also listed as a tailor) and Robert Runce (also listed as a boot maker) as beer retailers.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.