The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
other licensed premises
6 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Saxmundham: 3644.
Local licensing authority for Saxmundham is East Suffolk.
This rapidly growing market town is located on the old London and Ipswich to Lowestoft turnpike. The old tollhouse, called the Carlton Gate can still be seen. The turnpike eventually became the A12 and Saxmundham became a notorious bottleneck until it was by-passed. Henry Bright (1814-1873) was a celebrated local water-colourist. The local railway station is on the east Suffolk branch line.
Legend suggests the one-time existence of a tunnel under the former Angel Inn, which supposedly ran from Framlingham to Leiston Abbey. Whether it actually existed is still a matter of speculation. Mill Road marks the location of a post mill erected about 1790, which worked until 1885 and was dismanted in 1907. Part of the roundhouse has been incorporated into a home on Rendham Road.
Saxmundham was recorded in Domesday as "Saxmondeham" or "Sasmundesham".