A pleasant village with a weather-boarded watermill, recorded in Domesday as "Scotesham". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Shatſham".
Two burial mounds can be seen from the bridleway leading to Bussock wood. Shottisham creek runs down to the river Deben, but is prevented from entering it by the sea wall.
A Starfish type bombing decoy, designated as Shottisham, was built in early 1941 in the north-east of Ramsholt (at TM 313 427) to deflect enemy bombing from Ipswich. Later that year, a QL decoy was added to protect the Ransome, Sims and Jeffries factory.
Cropmarks in the north of Shottisham indicate the location of ring ditches which are thought to be the remains of a henge, as well as a barrow cemetery. Worked flint flakes and some pottery remains have also been found in the same area.
The Woodhall Hotel, often listed as being in Shottisham, is actually in Sutton.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Joseph Laws as a beer house keeper (& shoemaker).
In 1856 a report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Jul-30 when Mr Lawes was the landlord of a local beerhouse states that:
William Dunn asked Mr Lawes while in his beerhouse for matches so he make a fire on the road. He was seen setting fire to a sheep folds and shed. He was tried and found guilty, recieving a "light" sentence of 18 mths hard labour.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists William Mills as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory lists Edgar Wolton as a beerhouse keeper (& shoemaker)…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)