The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 Real Ale pub
Somerleyton is part of Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet parish.
Population (2011) of Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet parish: 427.
Local licensing authority for Somerleyton is East Suffolk.
Overlooking the marshes bordering the Waveney, the village was rebuilt during the 1840s for Sir Samuel Morton Peto, an engineer who redesigned Lowestoft harbour and worked on various railway projects around the world. He also lived in the neo-Elizabethan hall which is built on the site of a former Tudor house. The maze and miniature railway are amongst the garden attractions (open May-Oct on Sun & Thurs plus Tues & Wed in Summer only). The railway station, built in 1847, is described by English Heritage as "one of the most elaborate small stations in East Anglia", though much of the structure is not visible due to vegetation. A 19th century tower mill stood by the river south of the station; it was partly demolished in about 1900.
The many attractive estate cottages dotted around the village (and beyond) look mediaeval, but actually only date from the 19th century (see gallery).
Somerleyton was recorded in Domesday as "Sumerledestuna" or "Sumerledetuna" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Somerleytowne". Another map of 1766 records the village as "Somerliton".
Somerleyton is where Christopher Cockerell designed and tested the world's first hovercraft; a commemorative column (see gallery) was unveiled by his daughter Frances on June 4th 2010, the 100th anniversary of his birth.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.