A compact village of mainly modern buildings, set close to a tributary of the river Gipping and recorded in Domesday as "Sum(m)ersham". Wooden roof pegs in the church are thought to have been placed there for the hanging of maiden's garlands.
A prehistoric cooking site has been unearthed on Hill Farm.
The 1916 Kelly's Directory also lists Happy Grimsby (Beer retailer, pub not named)
The 1922 Kelly's Directory also lists Happy Grimsby as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.