Situated on the slopes of Wickham Brook, this village contains one of the finest 13th century aisled halls in the county at Purton Green farm, restored by the Landmark Trust (details). This is the last remnant of the lost village of Purton Green.

The remains of a tower mill dating from 1840 can still be seen near Plough Hill.

The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stanfelde".




The 1844 White's Directory also lists John Cornell (wheelwright) as a beer house keeper and Thomas Frost as a beer retailer.

The 1851 census also lists:

John Cornell, Beer Seller & Wheelwright, The Hill [Plough?], Head/Married/39/born Hundon.

Thomas Sargeant, Innkeeper, Clare Road [Compasses?], Head/Married/32/born Stansfield.

The 1855 White's Directory also lists Frederick Balls as a beer house keeper and William Everard as a miller, baker & brewer.

In 1865 Frederick Balls is also listed as a beer retailer.

The 1871 census also lists:

Stannard Boreham, Innkeeper, Hill [Plough?], Head/Married/46/born…


Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.