This widely spaced settlement climbs up the wooded valley of the river Glem, recorded in Domesday as "Stanesteda". The name is Anglo Saxon for "stony place" and there is also much evidence of earlier Iron Age and Roman settlements in the surrounding area. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stanſted".
It should not be confused with the village in Essex of airport fame.
Stanstead Hall is believed to have burned down in 1841. A post mill was built in the village about 1790; it survived until 1914 when it was destroyed.
In 1855 White's Directory a beer house is listed run by Stephen French. (The 1851 census lists Stephen French as a farmer in Lower St.)
In 1865 Stephen French (farmer) is listed as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.