In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
A rapid growth in size has occurred since WW2 but the main street still contains some fine 16th cent. Houses. A Roman villa was excavated at Chair farm and a coin hoard was recovered locally. The 19th cent. post mill is the last complete surviving example of the Norfolk type. Wyken Hall farm houses an award winning vineyard (open Thu, Fri & Sun & BH Mon) with shop, café and local walks. See www.wykenvineyards.co.uk
Stanton Chair (off Chare Road) is the site of a Roman villa which was excavated from 1935-1939. A smock mill stood near the present-day Jacob's Close until it was demolished about 1940. Another mill was shown off Bury Lane on the 1883-4 OS map, though it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else. Yet another mill, dating from 1791, still stands on Upthorpe Road
Stanton was recorded in Domesday as "Stantuna". It appears on the 1837 OS map as "Stanton All Saints".
The 1844 White's Directory also lists Thomas Davey (Beer house, pub not named)
The 1851 Census also lists Samuel Berry (Beerhouse Keeper, Street, pub not named, Head/Married/47y/born Diss, Norfolk)
The 1851 Census also lists Daniel Stiff (Brewer, Upthorpe, pub/brewery not named, Head/Married/47y/born Stanton)
The 1855 White's Directory also lists Jonas Shaw (Beer house, pub not named)
The 1861 Census also lists Jones K Shaw (Grocer & Draper & Beerhouse, Beerhouse corner of Dog St., pub not named, Head/Married/48y/born North Lopham, Norfolk)
The 1861 Census also lists Daniel Stiff (Brewer, U…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)