The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 Real Ale pub
6 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Stanton: 2507.
Local licensing authority for Stanton is West Suffolk.
A rapid growth in size has occurred since WW2 but the main street still contains some fine 16th cent. Houses. A Roman villa was excavated at Chair farm and a coin hoard was recovered locally. The 19th cent. post mill is the last complete surviving example of the Norfolk type. Wyken Hall farm houses an award winning vineyard (open Thu, Fri & Sun & BH Mon) with shop, café and local walks. See www.wykenvineyards.co.uk
Stanton Chair (off Chare Road) is the site of a Roman villa which was excavated from 1935-1939. A smock mill stood near the present-day Jacob's Close until it was demolished about 1940. Another mill was shown off Bury Lane on the 1883-4 OS map, though it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else. Yet another mill, dating from 1791, still stands on Upthorpe Road
Stanton was recorded in Domesday as "Stantuna". It appears on the 1837 OS map as "Stanton All Saints".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)