loading
X

The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.

St James South Elmham

Photo from St James South Elmham

closed premises


Population (2011) of St James South Elmham: 205.


Local licensing authority for St James South Elmham is East Suffolk.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About St James South Elmham

One of a group of settlements to the south of Bungay known collectively as "the Saints", which were recorded in Domesday variously as "Almeham", "Almaham", "Elmeham" and "Halmeham. Mill Lane marks the location of a post mill which was moved here in 1864. It was mostly demolished in 1923, but the remains can still be seen.

At 51m above sea level, St James is reportedly the highest village in the east of the county.

Also see All Saints and St. Nicholas, St Cross, St. Michael and St. Peter.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.