Stoke by Nayland
In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
You can now buy beer from many pubs and breweries via CAMRA's new Brew2You app. Click on the logo to download the app.
Set in the heart of Constable Country, this village is notable for its many fine buildings, including the 16th century timbered Guildhall and Maltings (now houses). The village was recorded in Domesday as "Stokes" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Smalebridge Stoke". The 1856 OS map shows it as "Stoke Beauchamp".
The west tower of the church can be seen for miles around and houses one of John Constable's paintings. Four protestant martyrs from the village were burnt in Bury in 1558.
Tendring Hall was owned by the Howard family (Dukes of Norfolk) until it was confiscated by Elizabeth I, who also executed Thomas Howard for trying to clandestinely marry Mary, Queen of Scots whilst she was in captivity. The hall was rebuilt in the 18th century and finally used as a POW camp in WW2 before it was demolished.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists John Bouttell [Leavenheath?] and John Crooks (shopkeeper) as beer house keepers.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists Daniel Hardy (thatcher) and John Crooks (shopkeeper) as beer house keepers.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists John Deaves and Charles Gordon as beer retailers.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists John Deaves as a beer house keeper.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 13 Jan in 1885 references the licensed premises of Alfred BARTON, Beer house keeper, Stoke by Nayland.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists …
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)