Set on a former Roman road, excavation has revealed remains of a villa and bath house. The Bird of Prey and Conservation centre, based at Stonham Barns has an excellent collection of raptors housed in large aviaries (open daily).
Sewer excavations near the centre of the village in 1962 uncovered a Roman bath house with hypocaust and painted plaster. Pottery and coins from the 3rd and 4th centuries were also found. Further Roman remains have been found in the area of Thornbush Lane.
A small post mill stood on Scott's Hill. Most of it was demolished in 1909, but parts remain.
The village was sometimes historically referred to as Stonham Antegan. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stonham aspoll".
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 09 Apr 1743 to Samuel Grimwood, Innkeeper in Stoneham-Aspall
The 1855 White's Directory also lists George Webb as a beer house keeper. (Royal Oak?)
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists John Last Jun. as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists John Last Jun. as a beer house keeper.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists Henry Race as a beer retailer Oak?
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists Henry Race as a beer house keeper (Mill green) Oak?
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists Henry Race as a beer retailer Oak?…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.