Also known as Little Stonham or Stonham Jernagens and recorded in Domesday (together with Earl Stonham) as "Stanham". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stonham pua".
A five storey tower mill stood on Church Lane from the 19th century until about 1928. Some remains are still visible.
The 1841 census also lists George Harvey (Beer Seller, Head/41/born Suffolk) [Brewer's Arms?] Near to Ellen Brewery, which spans two properties:
William Pooley (Brewer, Ellen Brewery, Head/30/born Suffolk) and
John Cuthbert (Brewer, Ellen Brewery, Head/46/born Suffolk)
The 1844 White's Directory lists John Hunt Cuthbert as a maltster + corn merchant and brewer and lists Wm. Thomas Pooley as a brewer.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Cuthbert & Sedwick (maltsters + corn merchants) as brewers along with owners John Hunt Cuthbert and John K Sedgwick. Hadfield Wyatt is listed as a working brewer.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.