Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
A large village whose name is sometimes spelled Stradbrook, encompassing a variety of architectural styles from the 14th century to the very modern. The village received a market charter in 1227 but had ceased to function by the 17th cent. An annual fair was also held from the 14th cent. The public swimming pool is an amenity currently on offer. Various small greens surround the village. Stradbroke was recorded in Domesday as "Stetebroc" or "Statebroc" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stradbrok". The 1837 OS map has it as "Stradbrook". Although commonly pronounced "Strad-brook", locals pronounce it "Strad-BROKE".
Queen Street appears on OS maps in 1885 and 1904 as "Queen's Head Street", no doubt reflecting the fact that the pub of that name is there.
Evidence of an Iron Age or Romano-British field system has been found to the north of Ashfield Green.
Mill Lane marks the site of Pain's Windmill, a large post mill rebuilt in 1777, closed in 1937 and mostly demolished in 1942. Another mill stood on Battlesea Hill; little is known about it, it seems to have been demolished some time between 1886 and 1904.…
The 1844 White's Directory also lists four beer houses run by William Fisher (& brewer) (Queens st), William Girling Hemp Sheaf? (linen manufacturer) (Queens st), Joshua Howes (& malster) (New St) and William Robinson (& glover) (New St).
The 1851 Census also lists James Shulver (Beerhouse Keeper, Beer House, Street, pub not named, Head/Married/36/born Monk Soham)
In 1865 Samuel Girling Hemp Sheaf? and Willia…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.