Stutton was recorded in Domesday as "Suttuna". The land between the village and Tattingstone has been flooded in modern times to create Alton reservoir. Water sports are now available locally and information centres have been constructed by the reservoir, just off the B1080 towards the east end of the village. There are pleasant walks to be enjoyed around the reservoir, to the river Stour and alongside the Elizabethan Sutton Hall.
In 1973, the watermill (map), dating from the 17th century, was dismantled and moved to the Museum of East Anglian Life (now the Food Museum), as otherwise it would have been submerged by the planned reservoir (now Alton Water).
The Ancient House (see gallery) is a beautifully-pargeted house on Lower Street, close to the putative White Horse Inn.
The original war memorial didn't name the men who died during the wars. A new stone listing them was erected alongside it some time between September 2016 and March 2018 (see gallery).
In 1933, erosion of the riverbank exposed an Iron Age refuse pit. Many items were found, such as a bowl, a goat's skull and fragments of a stove…
The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer house keeper called James Rumsey.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called Frederick Balls (& carpenter).
The 1874 White's Directory also lists a beer house keeper called Mrs Balls
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called George Bennett.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists a beer house keeper called William Bottomley.
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called Joseph Rush.
The 1891 Census also lists William Bottomley (Licensed Victualler & Boiler Maker, pub not named, Head/Married/60/born Manc…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.