An ancient borough and market town with three parish churches. Recorded in Domesday as "Sutberia". The settlement has expanded considerably since the 1950s with large new industrial and residential estates on the outskirts contrasting with the historic central areas. Once this was the head of the river Stour Navigation. Also see Great Cornard. For RAF Sudbury see Acton
During the 18th century The town was an important inland port with horse drawn barges transporting goods to Mistley and Manningtree (in Essex). A local man, Simon Tybald was Archbishop of Canterbury at the time of the Peasants Revolt (1381). He was decapitated by the rebels; his skull is kept at St Gregory's. Thomas Gainsborough (left), the notable artist, was born here in 1727. His birthplace is open to the public (Tue - Sat and BH Mon). Several fine local examples of silk weavers houses remain with large windows to light the looms. Sudbury was the archetypal "rotten borough" and was the inspiration for Eatenswill in Charles Dickens' Pickwick Papers.
Sudbury Heritage Centre & Museum can be found in Gaol Lane, behind the Town Hall.
Daniel Defoe was evidently unimpressed with Sudbury…
Street-by-street pub list
PH by st
Thomas Loveday, Innkeeper, late of Sudbury, deceased (inn not named)Ipswich Journal, 8th July 1780***
UNIDENTIFIED BEER SELLERS BY STREET
The following people are listed in various local streets as brewers, beer retailers or beerhouse keepers at (as yet) unidentified pubs or shops:
Unknown street address
1823 Pigot's Directory: Thos. Jones as a brewer, and wine & spirit merchant.
1874 White's Directory: Mrs Mary Ann Gross as a brewer, wine & spirit merchant
1874 White's Directory: Ann Maria Mauldon & Son as brewers & wholesale & retail wine & spirit merchants (White horse, Ballingdon)…
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)