The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
13 Real Ale pubs
Where pubs have been renamed, we usually list only the most recent known name here. Other names can be found in the Pub list tab. (For closed pubs which only traded for a short time under a newer name, we generally list them under the longer-established name) Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.
Population (2011) of Sudbury: 13 063.
Local licensing authority for Sudbury is Babergh.
An ancient Saxon borough and market town with three parish churches. Recorded in Domesday as "Sutberia". The settlement has expanded considerably since the 1950s with large new industrial and residential estates on the outskirts contrasting with the historic central areas. Once this was the head of the river Stour Navigation. Also see Great Cornard. For RAF Sudbury see Acton
During the 18th cent. The town was an important inland port withhorse drawn barges transporting goods to Mistley and Manningtree (in Essex). A local man, Simon Tybald was Archbishop of Canterbury at the time of the Peasants Revolt (1381). He was decapitated by the rebels; his skull is kept at St Gregory's. Thomas Gainsborough (left), the notable artist, was born here in 1727. His birthplace is open to the public (Tue - Sat and BH Mon). Several fine local examples of silk weavers houses remain with large windows to light the looms. Sudbury became a "rotten borough" and was the inspiration for Eatenswill in Charles Dickens' Pickwick Papers.
Sudbury Heritage Centre & Museum can be found in Gaol Lane, behind the Town Hall.
Daniel Defoe was evidently unimpressed with Sudbury. In his 1722 book "A Tour through the Eastern Counties of England" he wrote, "I know nothing for which this town is remarkable, except for being very populous and very poor. They have a great manufacture of says* and perpetuanas**, and multitudes of poor people are employed in working them; but the number of the poor is almost ready to eat up the rich. However, this town sends two members to Parliament, though it is under no form of government particularly to itself other than as a village, the head magistrate whereof is a constable."
J.C. Mauldon & Sons were local brewers from 1793 based at the White Horse Brewery until 1958 when they were taken over and closed down by Greene King. Trade at that time was about 2000 barrels per annum. Other local brewers included the Phoenix Brewery of Grimwade & Co based at the Waggon & Horses until 1920s. Oliver Brothers were also taken over by Greene King (in 1919) but brewing continued at their Sudbury Brewery until 1932, when barrellage was over 10,000 per annum.
Brewing returned to the town in 1992 when Peter Mauldon set-up a brewery in his family name once again. The current venture continues to prosper, although Peter sold it to Steve and Alison Sims in 2000. It is now located in Churchfield Rd in nearby Chilton.
Ballingdon is a small hamlet on South-Western banks of River Stour across Ballingdon bridge, which was once in Essex (Hinckford Hundred) but since 1835 was absorbed into the larger market town development that is Sudbury. Ballingdon was recorded in Domesday as "Belindune".
Also formerly known as Ballingdon-cum-Brundon.
Today this part of the town includes AFC Sudbury football ground and mainly modern housing.
* SAYE - an all-worsted cloth made in huge quantities and piece dyed. Made in many weights for clothing, bed hangings etc.
** PERPETUANAS - an everlasting, half worsted type of cloth.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)