Sudbourne

app

Introduction

Now a dry parish. Located on the Suffolk Costal heaths in an area of outstanding natural beauty. The village stretches from Sudbourne beach on Orfordness across the Alde and Ore estuaries and fresh water marshes to farmland and modern forestation. In the fields can be seen pigs, horses and donkeys and even some Highland cattle as well as crops.

The array of radio masts on the Sudbourne part of Orfordness transmit BBC World Service programmes to Europe on Medium Wave and the rest of the world on Short Wave.

Along with nearby Iken, Sudbourne was evacuated during the Second World War so the area could be used for military training.

The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Sudburne".

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

History

The 1904 Woodbridge licensing record shows George Raymer holding an off-sales only beerhouse license.

X