Alderton is a small settlement set in undulating countryside, about a mile from the sea. It was recorded in Domesday as "Alretuna".
Most of the older buildings sit along The Street, with newer developments on side-streets.
Local military defences include 3 Napoleonic Martello towers and various 20th century buildings.
The church no longer has a tower; it gradually collapsed through the 17th and 18th centuries, finally falling down completely in 1821, killing a cow.
There was supposedly once a tunnel which ran from the Swan to Alderton Hall, with access also to the church. Mill Lane marks the site of a mill which stood here from 1796 until its demolition in 1956. An ancient settlement site 600m east of Cedar Court has been identified from aerial photographs, though nothing can be seen on the ground.
The 1841 Census also lists James Smith (Brewer, The Street, not named, Head/30y/born Suffolk) with Anne Smith (The Street, not named, 20y/born Suffolk)
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by James Smith.
The 1855 White's Directory lists 2 beer houses run by Benj. Broome (also listed as a butcher) and James Sayer.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists 2 beer retailers called William Balls (also listed as a tailor) and David Fiske.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists 2 beer retailers called John Burrows and Thomas Dunn (also listed as a shopkeeper & shoe maker).…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.