The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
temporarily closed premises
Population (2011) of Alderton: 423.
Local licensing authority for Alderton is East Suffolk.
Alderton is a small settlement set in undulating countryside, about a mile from the sea. It was recorded in Domesday as "Alretuna". Local military defences include 3 Napoleonic Martello towers and various 20th century buildings.
The church no longer has a tower; it gradually collapsed through the 17th and 18th centuries, finally falling down completely in 1821, killing a cow.
There was supposedly once a tunnel which ran from the Swan to Alderton Hall, with access also to the church. Mill Lane marks the site of a mill which stood here from 1796 until its demolition in 1956. An ancient settlement site 600m east of Cedar Court has been identified from aerial photographs, though nothing can be seen on the ground.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.