Boxford is an attractive village set away from the A1071 main road and containing a mixture of historic and modern developments including a former Tudor grammar school. Many of the older buildings are set around the church of St Mary. One former resident of the White Hart was "Tornado Smith", a stunt-man who built his own "wall of death" in the pub yard. See the pub details for more information.
The Grade II listed Boxford Stores, in Swan Street, is believed to be the UK's oldest shop, having supposedly been a shop since 1420, though the Listed Buildings Register says it dates only from the 16th or 17th centuries.
The name doesn't come from a ford on the River Box, it comes from box trees which stood at the ford. The river was evidently named after the village
Boxford is listed in Domesday under its original name, Koddenham.
Boxford Grammar School got its charter in 1596, but had existed at least 40 years by that time. It apparently ceased operation by the early 19th century, if not earlier.
Stone Street is a small settlement in the parish, south of the A1071.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, two inn holders were listed in Boxford between 1650 and 1699. By 1844 there were four public houses and one beerhouse.
The 1791 Universal British Directory lists Isaac Emerson as a victualler and fellmonger.
The 1839 Pigots Directory lists John Moye as a brewer (at the White Hart).
The 1844 White's Directory lists John Moye as a brewer (at the White Hart), and also lists John Warren as a beer house keeper.
The 1851 census list Robert Stevens, Innkeeper, Swan Street, Head/Married/25/born Groton).…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.