Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
The village tower mill has been restored. Remains of a medieval preaching cross are still to be seen. Thelnetham was recorded in Domesday variously as "Teolftham", "Teluetteham", "Teolfcha" and "Thelueteham".
Turf Night is the first Monday after easter. On this night, when the church bell tolls, villagers stake their claims to plots on the local fen. Historically this allowed them to dig peat in the area they claimed, but now they just use wood cut from it.
Local magazine the Four Gazette covers the parishes of Hinderclay, Hepworth, Thelnetham and Wattisfield.
The remains of a stone cross in the orchard associated with the Evergreen Oak originally stood elsewhere in the village, where it was erected as a result of John Coles' will in 1527. The restored tower mill dates back to 1819.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Robert Branchflower.
The 1861 Census also lists Ann Webster (Beerhouse Keeper, Cross Green, pub not named, Head/Unmarried/57y/born Thelnetham) [Next entry to Evergreen Oak (unnamed) and may be associated with this entry.]
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Robert Blanchflower as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Robert Branchflower.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists George Sexton as a beer retailer Evergreen Oak?
The 1891-92 Whites Directory also lists George Sexton as a beer house keeper.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.