Thurston

app

Introduction

Much of this rapidly expanded village comprises modern housing. It was a centre of unrest during the Peasant Revolts of 1381 and 1386. The railway station is close to the Fox & Hounds.

The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Thurstanestuna", "Torstuna" and "Thurstuna". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Thurſton".

Mill Lane marks the site of a post mill which was demolished in 1953.

Bartram's originally brewed in Thurston (from 1999) but moved to nearby Rougham in 2004.

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

History

The 1844 White's Directory a beer house is also listed run by Thomas Bennet.

The 1851 Census also lists Thomas Bennett (Beerhouse Keeper, Great Green, pub not named, Head/Married/71/born Thurston) [Entry before Norton Rd.]

The 1851 Census also lists James Bullett (Beerhouse Keeper, Great Green, pub not named, Head/Married/31/born Rougham) [central Great Green possibly Black Fox]

The 1855 White's Directory a beer house is also listed run by Thomas Bennet.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X