Tuddenham St Martin
A village tucked away in a surprisingly deep valley, carved out by the river Fynn. Several good walks follow its course. A Roman settlement can be identified here. A hoard of Roman coins dating from Constantinius II to Honorius, as well as a gold ring and pot, were found in a sandpit in the late-1930s.
The village was a major centre of brickmaking until the beginning of the 20th century; something remembered on the village sign.
The 1841 Census also lists James Thompson (Publican, pub not named, Head/30/born Suffolk) [Next entry to James Garnham [Fountain]]
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by James Thompson.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists William Finch as a beer retailer (& shopkeeper).
The 1891 Census also lists William Hammond (Grocer & Beer Retailer, Street, pub not named, Head/Widower/47/born Tuddenham)
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists William Hammond as a beer retailer (& shopkeeper).
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing record shows William Hammond holding an off-sales only beerhouse lice…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.