This characterful village and popular yachting centre on the south side of the river Deben is known to have been a site of settlement for over 1500 years. Iron Age finds have also been found locally. The area around the village was heavily involved in coprolite mining.
During WW2 admission to the village was by permit only due to military activities. Dummy barges were moored along the river here and illuminated at night to draw the Luftwaffe from genuine military targets nearby.
Waldringfield was recorded in Domesday as "Waldingafelda", along with another (abandoned?) settlement called "Minima Waldringafelda" (Lesser Waldringfield). John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Waldringfelde".
In 1888 Kelly's Directory lists John Hill as a maltster & brewer.
The 1891 Census also lists John Hill (Maltster & Brewer, The Cliff, Cliff Rd., Head/Married/64/born Martlesham) [Listed next to unnamed Maybush]
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Walter Hill as a maltster & brewer (& coal merchant).
The 1901 Census also lists Walter Hill (Coal Merchant & Brewer, Cliff Rd., not named, Head/Married/30/born Waldringfield)