Walsham le Willows
A designated conservation area, with a stream running along the main street. Many old buildings including the 14th cent. Tiled cottage and former Maltings. A 1577 reference is made to "Game Place", circular earthworks with a raised stage and seating used for the performing of plays. It may have also been used as an early form of football stadium, staging camping matches.
Mill Close marks the approximate location of a c. 1815 post mill which was part-demolished in 1917.
Nearby Allwood green was common land until its enclosure in the 19th century. Alwood green was once the largest area of common land in Suffolk and was bounded by five parishes including Finningham, Gislingham, Rickinghall Superior and Rickinghall Inferior.
The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Washam", "Walsam" and "Walesam"; it appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Walſham in the willowes".
The 1844 White's Directory lists John Miller as a corn merchant, malster and ale & porter brewer. George Robert Newson is listed as a farmer & British Wine dealer. A beer house is also listed, run by William Day.
The 1851 Census also lists James Mitson (beer Seller, Church St., pub not named, Head/Married/born Bardwell)
The 1851 Census also lists John Miller, Brewer & Maltster, Church St., brewery/pub not named, Head/Married/52/born Walsham)
The 1855 White's Directory lists John Miller as a corn merchant, malster and ale & porter brewer…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.