The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
Walsham le Willows
5 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Walsham le Willows: 1213.
Local licensing authority for Walsham le Willows is Mid Suffolk.
About Walsham le Willows
A designated conservation area, with a stream running along the main street. Many old buildings including the 14th cent. Tiled cottage and former Maltings. A 1577 reference is made to "Game Place", circular earthworks with a raised stage and seating used for the performing of plays. It may have also been used as an early form of football stadium, staging camping matches.
Mill Close marks the approximate location of a c. 1815 post mill which was part-demolished in 1917.
Nearby Allwood green was common land until its enclosure in the 19th century. Alwood green was once the largest area of common land in Suffolk and was bounded by five parishes including Finningham, Gislingham, Rickinghall Superior and Rickinghall Inferior.
The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Washam", "Walsam" and "Walesam"; it appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Walſham in the willowes".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.