Establishment(s) known to be ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
Set just off the A12 and overlooking marshes to the east, this village contains the remains of a medieval Priory, once run by one of the few cells of Cluniac monks in the county. Millfields marks the location of a windmill believed to have burnt down in 1928. At one time, Wangford was one of the most important settlements in the area; a fact attested to by the grand-looking old Post Office (see gallery).
Wangford was recorded in Domesday as "Wamforda" or "Wankeforda".
A smaller village of the same name near Brandon may sometimes be confused with this one.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Sep 1801 refers to the Petty Sessions held at John BREWSTER's, The LION?, Wangford on 1st Oct.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists two beer houses run by Edward Howse (senior) and Samuel Stimpson.
1851 Census also lists William Newbery (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/46y/born Wrentham) with Elizabeth Newbery (Pub not named, Wife/Married/46y/born Reydon) and Alfred Cudding (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/23y/born Ipswich) with Elizabeth Cudding (Pub not named, Wife/Married/26y/born Whitton).
The 1855 White's Directory also lists two beer ho…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)