Now a dry parish. A small settlement on A143 with an abundance of mica clay, recorded in Domesday as "Wate(s)felda" and appearing on John Speed's 1610 map as "Watteſfelda". Archaeological evidence suggests that pottery was manufactured around here for over 3000 years before the arrival of the Romans. Various Roman pottery kilns have also been excavated locally (at least 20). Perhaps it is not surprising to find a local pottery still in operation today.
Local magazine the Four Gazette covers the parishes of Hinderclay, Hepworth, Thelnetham and Wattisfield.
A putative Iron Age and Saxon or Medieval settlement has been unearthed in the west of the parish. Another Saxon or Medieval settlement has been found near Walsham Road. A Romano-British or Anglo-Saxon cemetery was found by Basil Brown in 1934. A post-Medieval post mill stood near Manning's Lane; it was demolished circa 1965.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists Edmund Still as a gardener and beer seller.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists Edmund Still as a beer seller.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists Thomas Jas. Doe as a beerhouse keeper (& baker).
The 1879 Kelly's Directory lists Thomas James Doe as a farmer, beer retailer, silver sand merchant & earthenware manufacturer. The 1881 Census lists Thos Jas Doe, The Church Pottery, as a Miller & Potter (not pub or publican). (There is a Wattisfield Pottery shown on Manning's Lane on an 1886 map.)
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.