Predominantly modern housing and almost convergent with Ipswich - sometimes recorded as "Westerfield-in-Ipswich". The parish was formed in 1894 under the Local Government act.
An earlier settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Westrefelda". The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Weſterfeild"
The village retains a railway station (East Suffolk and Felixstowe branches) which was the scene of a fatality in WW1 when a locomotive boiler blew-up. Westerfield was originally the western terminus for the Felixstowe branch line; for many years there was no direct connection between it and the West Suffolk line. The original terminus station still stands slightly behind platform 1 (see gallery).
Westerfield Green, which covered some 50 acres, was enclosed in 1808. On this green, George III once held a review of some 10 000 troops.
The two pubs are sometimes listed as part of Ipswich.
The Eastern Union Railway (and Westerfield station) opened on the 1 June 1859 from Ipswich to Great Yarmouth (built in less than 4 years), which included the Westerfield station. The first train ran on the Felixstowe branch line on 1 May 1877 (from Westerfield to Felixstowe Beach).
The 1865 Kellys Directory also lists Robert Davey as a beer retailer (& pig dealer).
The 1888 Kellys Directory lists John Bird as a brewer.
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists John Bird as a brewer, malt, hop & coal merchant at the brewery.…