In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
You can now buy beer from many pubs and breweries via CAMRA's new Brew2You app. Click on the logo to download the app.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Weringheseta" or "Wederingaseta".
This dispersed settlement -- also called Wetheringsett cum Brockford -- is located just off the A140 and close to the massive TV transmission mast which is well lit at night and can be seen up to 20 miles away in some locations.
There was a major scandal in the 19th century when the local vicar was found never to have been ordained. He was jailed and Parliament had to pass legislation legitimising the marriages of couples at whose weddings he had officiated.
Both the Mendlesham transmission mast and the former Mendlesham airbase are actually in Wetheringsett, not Mendlesham. The base was reputedly called Mendlesham as this was thought to be easier for US airmen to pronounce.
We've so far been unable to find a map showing the boundary between Brockford and Wetheringsett, so our map only shows the parish boundary.
A post mill dating from 1882 stood near the former Cat & Mouse; it closed about 1936 and mostly demolished in 1957.
The 'Middy' i.e. the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway museum is located in Brockford, at one of the former stations…
The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Edward Rodwell.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Samuel Keeble. Trowel & Hammer
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Samuel Kebble as a beer retailer. Trowel & Hammer
The 1874 White's Directory also lists George Barrett (& cattle dealer) and William Keeble as beer house keepers. Trowel & Hammer
The 1879 Kelly's Directory also lists George Barrett as a beer retailer (& cattle dealer).
In the 1881 census George Barrett and Ephraim Crowe are listed as farmers and beerhouse keepers in Church St.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.