The market place still acts as a focal point but is now used as a car-park for this large, mainly dormitory village. The market was actually quite short lived and functioned mainly in the 14th and 15th cents. Many local buildings have Georgian style, white brick facades. Close to the river Deben, a Victorian watermill together with its race is well preserved.
The main post of of Posford Gibbet can still be seen in a wood close to the road to Hacheston. The gibbet was probably last used in 1699; Jonah Snell was apparently the last man to be hanged here. The hill up to the Gibbet is still known as Dragarse Hill after he was dragged by his arse up the hill to be hanged for murder.
Mill Lane marks the site of a small smock mill, built in 1774.It had ceased working by 1882 and was abandoned and deteriorated into a ruinous condition until restored as holiday accomodation about 10 years ago. Wickham Mill (AKA Deben Mill) still stands on the river. It dates from the 18th century.
Wickham Market was recorded in Domesday as "Wik(h)am".
Wickham Market railway station is actually a couple of miles away at Campsea Ashe…
The 1851 Census also lists James Hilliar (Innkeeper, Hill, pub not named, Head/Married/48/born Hourton, Wiltshire) with James Hilliar (Brewer etc., Hill, pub not named, Son/Unmarried.25/born Warminster, Wiltshire)
The 1851 Census also lists Robert Aldous (Innkeeper, Middle St., pub not named, Head/Married/51/born Brandeston)
The 1874 White's Directory lists William Rush as a brewer and also lists George Hill as a beerhouse keeper (& baker) Volunteer ?
The 1888 Kelly's Directory lists William Rush as a brewer, and also lists George Hill as a beer retailer (& baker) Volunteer ?
The 1891-92 White's D…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)