Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
This parish comprises 11 greens, scattered over 5 miles of rolling boulder clay countryside. The settlement is diverse, with a good mixture of old and new. The external wall of the church features a stone carving of an Anglo-Saxon figure holding a sword and shield. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Wicham". The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Wyckham brooke".
Bullock's Mill was a post mill built at Thorns about 1830. It was demolished about 1914; some remains can still be seen. Another mill stood on the road towards Hargrave until 1920. A third mill dating from the 18th century, stood in the south of the parish near Denston until 1969.
Lidstone's brewed in Wickhambrook between 1998 and 2002, when they moved to North Yorkshire and became Wensleydale brewery.
Street-by-street pub list
The 1844 White's Directory also lists John P Brown (vestry clerk) and Thomas Smith as beer house keepers.
The 1851 census also lists George Everard as a beer seller at Ashfield Green. (Head/Married/57/born Denston) (Depot?)
The 1855 White's Directory also lists 8 beer house keepers:
The 1861 census also lists Philip Kind as a carpenter & retailer of beer, Maltings Cottage The Queens House, Lady Green. (Head/Married/41/born Wickhambrook)…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.