The village's name commemorates Offa, a warrior in the Battle of Maldon in 991; it was recorded in Domesday as "Offetuna". Nearby a castle built to command the land between the river valleys may be Saxon in origin and was refortified during the Middle Ages. The mound and traces of a moat are still visible. The lost medieval settlement of Little Bricett is believed to be sited near Tollemache Farm.
The pub is actually located just into Willisham parish. Opposite the pub are the remains of ancient chalk workings. When chalk is heated to 900 degrees it becomes quicklime. This can then either be used as a fertiliser or mixed with sand and used as mortar. A hard and unhealthy occupation, the Offton lime kilns were last used sometime in the late Victorian period when Johnathan James was listed as the owner.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists George Runnacles as a beerhouse keeper.