A pretty village on the Cambridgeshire border, traversed by a Roman road and recorded in Domesday as "Wedresfelda" or "Urdresfelda".
Charity Farm is so named because it was the home of Thomas Parmiter, who founded the Parmiter School in Bethnal Green.
An unidentified beerhouse was listed as part of the Kedington Brewery estate when it was sold in 1883. Whether this was one of the pubs we list or another one isn't known.
A Roman burial ground was found in Withersfield in about 1757.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists William Nunn (& shopkeeper) as a beer seller.
The 1851 census lists William Nunn as a grocer & poulterer, but not a beer seller.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists William Nunn (& shopkeeper) and Stephen Williams as a beer house keepers.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists William Nunn as a beer retailer (& shopkeeper).
The 1874 White's Directory also lists William Nunn as a beer retailer.
The 1916 Kelly's Directory also lists Arthur Talbot as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.